Yes, I Pull a Rickshaw

Yes, I pull a Rickshaw



Woke up at 5 today
Same as yesterday
Saw a few more dreams
And crashed back to reality

Life didn’t change
It was just another Wednesday
Or was it a Tuesday?
Differentiating days seem useless.

The pedals seems fine,
The wheels properly inflated.
So begins a new work day.
So begins my destiny.

You look new to this place,
Where do you want to go?
That’ll be fifty rupees please.
You pay because you know nothing now.

A good start with a good customer,
I cheat because it gets me more.
Let me hear about your judgment
When you have to worry about your next meal.

And where do you want to go?
That’ll be fifteen rupees please.
You’ll pay 10? But it’s fifteen!
How about we settle for 12?

You heartless man,
What does three rupees hold for you?
Is it worth depriving me
Of a well earned cigarette?

You generously give five rupees to a beggar in charity
But argue with me for two.
The beggar just begs,
But I bleed for you.

I sweat and I toil,
I pull and I push.
But when I ask for two rupees more
You become a saint and I the Devil?

If you pity a beggar for his misfortune
Why cant you see
From your cushioned seat,
It is my sweat that drips for you.

I pull a rickshaw I know
I’m insignificant in this world.
A hindrance to you, car owners.
A cheat to you, my customers.

But don’t think you’re better than me
Just because you’re in an office from 9 to 5
I know I can’t sell the latest insurance scheme
But can you pull a rickshaw for a day, everyday?

Posted by Marred | at 9:18 AM

0 comments:

Post a Comment